So firstly, before any sewing began, I simply had to stroke the fabrics! Getting a bundle of FQs in the post is incredibly exciting but even more so when it is such gorgeous fabric like this! The new Circus Collection by Tilda is soft and beautiful to work with! I especially loved the floral prints!
I also may have ‘accidentally’ treated myself to some new Aurifil thread (2720) for sewing the petals together…
There’s something quite daunting about
cutting into such gorgeous fabric isn’t there?! So, after giving myself a good talking to, I finally made the first cut into the fabrics. Setting aside the elephant print fabric (Tilda Circus Life Green) for the backing of the cushion and the centre circle, I cut four dresden petals from each of the four floral prints finishing with a total of sixteen petals:
When sewing the dresden together my main priority was to make sure the petals matched on the curve at the top. Obviously, in an ideal world, it would have matched perfectly at the bottom corner too but my thinking was that, as a first timer to dresden plates, the final circle could cover a multitude of sins… 😉
Then, for that centre circle, I fussy cut an elephant from the Tilda Circus Life Green FQ that I placed to one side at the start. This fabric works perfectly for mastering fussy cutting and also in acting as a focal point for the dresden centre. The colours match perfectly…but that’s no surprise from such an expert brand as Tilda!
Then comes the joining part (although I have to admit that I never find this as much fun as the actual english paper piecing)! I ironed and removed the basting stitches and papers from the petals before sewing the circle onto the centre of the petals. Then I ironed and removed the basting stitches and papers from the circle. Next, I appliqued the dresden plate as a whole onto a square of fabric before using the rest of the Tilda Circus Life Green to make the cushion back. And voila! One Tilda Circus Dresden Plate Cushion!